English BGCSE: Expository Writing
This course is designed to reinforce essay composition skills and encourage writing for academic purposes. Students will be able to define elements of composition as well as understand important techniques involved in the writing style. This course will place emphasis on macro-level composition skills such as: essay structure, paragraph structure, coherence, unity; and micro-level skills such as: sentence structure, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and mechanics.
- Identify and define elements of expository writing, including thesis, topic sentences, unity, coherence, etc.
- Demonstrate understanding and competency of effective writing applications.
- Demonstrate understanding of writing as a process that involves composing, editing, and revising.
- Use Standard Written English and revise and edit writing for appropriateness.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the connection between writing and thinking.
- Cultivate independent learning habits and practice strategies for academic success.
Course syllabus: BGCSE Expository Writing Syllabus
- Lectures 8
- Quizzes 3
- Duration 15 hours
- Skill level Intermediate
- Language English
- Students 5
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
This unit will examine the process of writing as well as define structural and theoretical elements of expository essay.
This unit briefly highlights higher-order and lower-order concerns. Higher-order concerns are defined as the most important parts of your paper, such as thesis, unity and coherence. After addressing those macro-level concerns, then writers can then pay attention to lower order concerns, such as sentence structure, grammar and punctuation.
This unit will focus on pre-writing practices for expository essays. Students will have to create topic outlines and also examine essay structure and organization.
This unit focuses on drafting and revising essays.