Course Description: This course seeks to develop and improve critical reading skills in preparation for BGCSE English, Paper 4. Although the focus will be BGCSE –oriented, students preparing for any English Writing exams can benefit also. Students will be exposed to the fundamental elements of critical reading and will be able to identify these in any text; likewise, they will be able to incorporate these elements in their own writing. Most importantly, students will be thinking and writing at the evaluative level, making judgments and assumptions and forming their own conclusion about the text through logical reasons and textual support and evidence.
At the end of the course, students will be able to
- know the fundamental elements of critical reading.
- apply those elements in their oral and written discourse
- analyze critical reading elements used in a text
- evaluate a given text, using relevant support, evidence and explanation
- appreciate the various rhetorical devices used in a text and be able to think critically about issues presented
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 1
- Assessments Self