BJC English Workshop: Reading Comprehension and Usage
This course is designed for students who are already familiar with completing questions typical of the Paper 2 English BJC exam. Therefore, this course does not seek to teach students how to complete such assignments, how to write directed writing questions, or give students examples of how to answer similar assignments. Instead, this course uses passages that were never included on past BJC papers and requires students to answer questions based on these new passages. These questions are very similar to the ones commonly asked in the exam, and the same basic skills tested in the exam are also tested in this course.
Note: If students do not yet feel confident enough in their skills to complete this workshop course, then they are advised to take the Tutoring Station course “BJC English Paper 2: Usage and Comprehension” so that they can learn how to answer the questions, practice answering the questions, and complete other assignments similar to the ones in this course. See link below for this course:
- State basic recall information
- Quote particular information
- Critically analyze the deeper meaning of a word, phrase, or sentence
- Discuss the suitability of a passage’s title
- Define a word/phrase as used in the context of the passage
- Provide evidence to support statements and opinions
- Change words from one part of speech or verb tense to another
- Correctly spell words when changing part of speech or verb tense
- Effectively write a response to a passage using a particular form
- Paraphrase information from a passage
Course Syllabus: tts workshop comprehension and usage syllabus
- Lectures 4
- Quizzes 0
- Skill level BJC Intermediate
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
Assignment 1: Sleep Reading Comprehension and Cloze Passage
In this section, students answer questions worth 15 points and complete a cloze passage based on an article about sleep.
Assignment 2: Troubled Teen Reading Comprehension with Directed Writing
Here. students read a passage about a troubled teen who turned his life around. Students will then answer questions totaling 25 points. The last question is a directed writing response.
Assignment 3: Cooking Reading Comprehension and Cloze Passage
In this section, students answer questions worth 15 points and complete a cloze passage based on an article about cooking.
Assignment 4: Reading Comprehension with Directed Writing
Here. students read an article about the Amazon Go grocery store. Students will then answer questions totaling 25 points. The last question is a directed writing response.