Public Speaking for Success
Public Speaking is sharing your ideas, sharing information and persuading others to take action. Public Speaking is a basic survival skill. It affects all aspects of communication, for example; talking on the phone, interviewing for a job, attending meetings, reporting on projects (College/University) or presenting a business proposal, it is inevitable. We all desire to perform well no matter the circumstances, therefore learning the art of public speaking is a good decision. Public Speaking increases your influence and enhances your professional and social life.
This course will increase your confidence as a public speaker and increase your present public speaking skill level. This course will also increase your critical thinking power. You will learn the different types of speeches and how to define the main purpose of your speech. You will learn to apply speech building techniques, speech delivery techniques and learn how to analyze your audience.
It will dispel the myth that only persons with the gift of ‘gab’ can become great speakers.
The course will cover the following:
- What is Public Speaking
- The Importance of Public Speaking
- Effective Listening
- Critical Thinking
- Analyze your Audience
- Research and Development
- Speech Structure and Organization
- Speech Preparation and Delivery
- Ethics and Public Speaking
- Speaking in a Multicultural World
- Exercises and Assignments for each Unit
- Three (3) Main Projects (Recorded Video Presentations by student).
- Live discussions/demonstrations with the instructor at the completion of each unit (biweekly)
- A Final Live Open Forum with instructor – live speech presentations/ Q & A
Required Equipment: Computer/Mobile Device with Zoom application and reliable internet connection.
Note: For successful completion of the Course student must complete all units in their entirety, attend at least three live discussions with instructor (listen to the recorded sessions missed) and attain a grade of 70% for all assignments and projects.
- Lectures 23
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
Unit 1: INTRODUCTION
What is Public Speaking? Why is Public Speaking Important? Causes of Public Speaking Anxiety, Know Yourself
Unit 2 : SPEECH PREPARATION
Selecting The Topic for Your Speech, Writing A Statement of Intent for Your Speech, Resources and Research Tips, Analyzing Your Audience
Unit 3 : SPEECH ORGANIZATION
Different Patterns of Organization, The Three Main Types of Speeches, The Structure of A Speech, The Introduction, Body and Conclusion
- Different Speech Patterns
- The Three Main Types of Speeches
- The Structure of a Speech – Overview
- The Structure of a Speech- The Introduction
- The Structure of a Speech – The Body
- The Structure of a Speech – The Conclusion
- PS Assignment Three (Part A, Part B) – Speech Organization
- PS Assignment Four – Speech Organization
Unit 4: PHYSICAL AND MENTAL COMPONENTS OF PRESENTING A SPEECH
Critical Thinking Skills, Listening Skills, Breathing techniques, Voice Modulation Techniques, Posture and Eye Contact
Unit 5: OPEN SESSION/ LIVE Q & A
In this Session Instructor will review with students pertinent areas of the course , recommend practical exercises/ resources for the continuous development of their Public Speaking skills. Volunteer Students will present their final Speech Project live. Open discussion with Q & A